Undergraduate Research Opportunities. Here. Now.
As a pioneer in providing unique undergraduate research opportunities, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is proud to inaugurate an elite, 10-week research experience that will allow undergraduates the chance to work alongside experienced faculty mentors and explore pressing aerospace problems.
The Interdisciplinary Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program provides total immersion into all aspects of laboratory work along with other enrichment activities. Students who earn acceptance get a $5,000 stipend, with their housing and meals covered.
Applications are now open for undergraduates from any university, regardless of major.
During the REU program, students will use our leading-edge laboratories to conduct multidisciplinary research in aerospace engineering, chemistry and applied space biology with a goal of improving future space materials science and human diagnostic technology.
The research will be housed in Embry-Riddle’s College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering, with most of the College of Engineering research done in labs at the MicaPlex, an incubator for innovative new companies and the cornerstone building of the university’s renowned Research Park.
If you’ve always wanted to do hands-on research with the potential to shape your future while making a real difference in the aerospace industry, apply today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for this research experience? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
This research experience is being offered to:
- Highly motivated and successful undergraduate with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must not have received their bachelor’s degree before the start of the summer program.
- The program is open to all undergraduate students, regardless of major.
- Students are expected to commit to work 40 hours per week during the REU.
- Female students and underrepresented minority students are strongly encouraged to apply.
What do I need to apply? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
- Application Form
- Unofficial Transcripts
- A Personal Statement
- Two Recommendations
What is the student’s role in this research experience? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
The role of the REU student is:
- To be a team member within the research group
- To learn to think like a scientist using the library databases and utilizing the tools mentioned in the professional seminars
- To practice effective reading
- To look for gaps in the work when doing literature review and to reach out to the support group of graduate students and REU mentors for guidance in conducting research with confidence
- To start research with a literature review by reading and writing the standard operating laboratory procedures
- To conduct experiments independently after gaining training and confidence from the mentors
- To set weekly goals in consultation with the mentors
- To stay updated on the assignments and weekly deliverables
How will the participants be selected? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
The selection committee will be composed of ten mentors, which is a diverse team in STEM. During the selection process, the mentors will make quantitative measurements, which will include student’s academic performance, student’s interest, and the percentage of diverse and minority candidates.
Is this a paid research experience? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
Yes, each student working on this project will receive a stipend of $5,000 plus housing and meals for a 10-week period.
What about dining, housing and parking? @Model.DrawerTitleSize>
- All participants will be accommodated in on-campus housing.
- A variety of dining options are located on campus.
- The Daytona Beach Campus map shows the location of parking lots and other offices.
- For questions about parking, contact the Parking and Traffic Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For parking emergencies or conditions requiring immediate attention, call 911 contact Campus Safety and Security at 386-226-6480.
- For Disability Parking, contact Health Services at 386-226-7917 or at email@example.com.