Center for Motorsports Engineering
The CME is dedicated to applying our faculty and student talent to benefit motorsports and other high performance vehicle applications. We are ready to transform our students and deliver value for our customers.
Our capabilities include advanced computing tools for design, simulation, and analysis of problems from the simple to the complex. Other capabilities beyond computing include:
- PC board design, fabrication, assembly, test and implementation
- Software development and coding in coordination with our Department of Electrical, Computer, Software, and Systems Engineering
- Advanced high-voltage and hybrid systems design, advanced controls, and system integration experience gained from our top-level EcoCAR 3 program
- Autonomous sensing, actuation, and controls in cooperation with RAER robotics association and members of the successful RobotX team
Undergraduate, master's and Ph.D. students are trained to use these tools; our professors teach the use of these tools in the classroom, and through the Center for Motorsports Engineering they are applied to industry research and projects to solve real-world problems.
The CME strives to solve unique challenges, related to cars, engines and performance and beyond.
- CAD using CATIA, PTC Creo / Pro E, Solidworks, Siemens NX
- FEA for structures and heat transfer including ANSYS, NEI NASTRAN, and FEMAP
- FEA structural analysis for composites using specialized ANSYS pre- and post-processing
- CFD using ANSYS Fluent, CFX, and Star-CCM+
- Simulation pre and post-processing using ANSA, Pointwise, Gridgen, Tecplot, and µETA
- HEEDS for Multidisciplinary Design Optimization
- Customer applications using Matlab, Simulink, Microsoft Visual Studio, Java, Maple, and Mathematica