Research Engineering and Applied Collaborations in Healthcare (REACH) Lab
The REACH Lab enhances medical systems by investigating a variety of patient safety issues in collaborations with clinical experts. We partner with professionals in academic and community medical settings, such as (e.g., Emergency Medical Services, Perioperative, Risk Management, and Pediatrics).
Utilizing sound theories and rigorous methodologies, we focus on enhancing existing work systems. Some of our work has focused on improving care transitions, enhancing teamwork within cancer care, mitigating medication errors, and accident investigation.
- Cohen, T. N., Griggs, A. C., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., Doherty, S. M., Kanji, F. F., & Gewertz, B. (2020). Using escape rooms for teams research: Development, considerations, and challenges. Simulation and Gaming. Advanced Online Publication.
- Doorey, A. J., Turi, Z. G., Lazzara, E. H., Mendoza, E. G., Garratt, K. N., & Weintraub, W. S. (2020). Safety gabs in medical team communication: Results of quality improvement efforts in a cardiac catheterization lab. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, 95, 136-144.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R., Simonson, R., Lane-Fall, M. B., & Argarwala, A. (2020). Navigating the challenges of performing anesthesia handoffs and conducting anesthesia handoff research. International Anesthesiology Clinics, 58(1), 32-37.
- Webster, K. L., & Keebler, J. R. (2020). Best practices for interprofessional education debriefing in medical simulation. In J. T. Paige, S. C., Sonesh, D. D. Garbee, & L. S. Bonanno (Eds.), Comprehensive healthcare simulation: Interprofessional team training and simulation (pp. 65-74). Springer.
- Benishek, L. E., & Lazzara, E. H. (2019). Teams in a new era: Some considerations and implications. Frontiers in Psychology, 10(1006), 1-15.
- Chaparro, A., Lazzara, E. H., Diamond, A., & Keebler, J. R. (2019). Checklists: A review of their origins, benefits, and current uses as a cognitive aid in medicine. Ergonomics in Design, 1-6.
- Fernandez, R., Rosenman, E., Brolliar, S., Chipman, S, Kalynch, C., Vrablik, M., Keebler, J. R., & Lazzara, E. H. (2019). An event-based approach to measurement: Facilitating measurement in high variable clinical settings. Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training, 1-7.
- Gregory, M. E., Hughes, A. M., Benishek, L. E., Sonesh, S., Lazzara, E. H., Woodard, L. D., & Salas, E. (2019). Toward the development of the perfect medical team: Critical components for adaptation. Journal of Patient Safety. Advanced online version.
- Guttman, O., Daniel, W., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., & Reed, G. (2019). Rethinking high reliability in healthcare: The role of error management theory in high reliability organizing. Journal of Patient safety and Risk Management, 1-7.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R.., Shuffler, M L., Patzer, B., Smith, D. C., & Misasi, P. (2019). Considerations for multiteam systems in Emergency Medical Services. Journal of Patient Safety, 15(2), 150-153.
- Misasi, P., & Keebler, J. R. (2019). Medication safety in emergency medical services: Approaching an evidence-based method of verification to reduce errors. Therapeutic advances in drug safety, 10, 1-14.