The REACH Lab enhances medical systems by investigating a variety of patient safety issues in collaborations with clinical experts. We partner with professionals in academic and community medical settings, such as (e.g., Emergency Medical Services, Perioperative, Risk Management, and Pediatrics).
Utilizing sound theories and rigorous methodologies, we focus on enhancing existing work systems. Some of our work has focused on improving care transitions, enhancing teamwork within cancer care, mitigating medication errors, and accident investigation.
- Griggs, A. C., Lazzara, E. H., Doherty, S. M., Keebler, J. R., Gewertz, B. L., & Cohen, T. N. (2022). Unlocking the methodology of escape rooms: Considerations for conducting applied escape rooms in research. Simulation & Gaming, 53(6), 663-675.
- Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., Blickensderfer, E., Looke, T., Rosemeier, F., Almon, B., Barr, L., & Kulman, J. (2022). Applying systems thinking to improve perioperative adverse event investigations: The critical event review team. Human Factors in Healthcare, 2, 100010.
- Keebler, J. R., Lynch, I., Ngo, F., Phelps, E., Huang, N., Guttman, O., Preble, R., Minhajuddin, A. T., Gamez, N., Wanat-Hawthorne, A., Landgraf, K., Minnis, E., Gisick, L., McBroom, M., Ambardekar, A., Olson, D., & Greilich, P. E. (2023). Leveraging the science of teamwork to sustain handoff improvements in cardiovascular surgery. Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 49, 373-383.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R., Gisick, L. M., Williams, K. N., Zajac, S., & Gunther, J. (2022). Improving cancer care teamwork: Five patient-centered strategies to strengthen care coordination. Oncology Issues, 37(6), 26-34.
- Lazzara, E. H., Simonson, R., Gisick, L. M., Griggs, A., Rickel, E., Wahr, J., Lane-Fall, M. B., & Keebler, J.R. (2022). Does standardization improve anesthesia handoffs? Meta-analyses on provider, patient, organizational, and handoff outcomes. Ergonomics, 65(8), 1138-1153.