The Materials Lab is equipped to enable advanced materials research, modeling and testing of new materials and structures made from them. Of particular interest are nano-structured and lightweight aerospace materials and devices.
- Bruker TI980 Nano-characterization system (SPM and optical microscopes, indentation, scratch, wear and nanoDMA modules. Hot stage nanoindentation up to 800 C.)
- Bruker X-ray micro-CT scanner
- FEI quanta scanning electron microscope (SEM): This unit offers surface analysis (microstructure, failure, quality control, measurements), as well as element analysis with the EDS and EDX attachment.
- Chemical vapor deposition CVD systems
- Magnetron sputtering system (PVD)
- TPS - Transient Plane Source from HotDisk, inc. (thermal conductivity, diffusivity, specific heat capacity, etc.)
- Dynamic mechanical analyzer (DMA)
- Ex-One powder jetting metal 3-D printer
- Markeforged Mark Two composite printer
- Sample prep tools and equipment (cutting saws, polishing and grinding)
- Micro hardness tester
- High temperature heat treatment vacuum furnace (up to 1,400 Celsius)
- Drying vacuum furnace (up to 350 Celsius)
- Phillips inverted optical metallurgical microscope