Biology and Organic Chemistry Lab
The Biology Lab is the primary space for students taking the introductory and specialized laboratory courses in Life Sciences.
This lab also serves upper-level chemistry students as they seek to understand chemical synthesis, spectroscopy, and more advanced laboratory techniques in Physical Sciences.
Biology labs are used to teach introductory and advanced laboratory courses. Advanced laboratory include Microbiology, Genetics and Cell and Molecular Biology.
The lab features specialized equipment, multiple microorganisms, preserved zoological and botanical specimens, and human anatomical models and provides a hands-on learning space for students.
- 6 Corning hot/stir plates
- 25 Leica microscopes
- 10 digital scales
- 6 Vernier spectrophotometers
- 8 sets of Micropipettes
- 1 centrifuge
- 2 Thermal cyclers
- 2 incubators
- 2 water baths
- 8 chambers for electrophoresis
- Gel imager
- 3 Dell desktop computers
- HP printer
- Various glassware including beakers, graduated cylinders, burets, volumetric flasks, volumetric pipettes, flasks, etc.
- 12 Fisher Isotemp hot/stir plates
- 4 Torbal high precision analytical balances
- 2 Vernier mini gas chromatographs (GC)
- Vernier polarimeter
- Agilent Cary 630 Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) spectrometer
- Agilent 8890 GC system equipped with 5977B mass spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Buchi rotary evaporator
- Thermo Scientific PicoSpin 45 nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometer