The STAR Lab researches teamwork and the factors that influence its development and performance. This research includes team decision making, predictors of team success, effects of communication technology on performance, team training, and overall team performance. The studies conducted are usually on teams with 2-6 participants and utilize a variety of simulations and games (such as the spaceship bridge simulator "Artemis"). This allows observation of team functioning in an immersive and controlled experimental environment.
The STAR lab works on projects in a variety of team-centric domains such as healthcare, aviation, military operations, and long duration space exploration.
This lab continues to support ERAU's aviation mission through a variety of collaborations and applied research projects with our College of Aviation and the US Navy.
- Virtual reality systems: Vive, Oculus Rift, Samsung Gear headset
- 6 Networked gaming computers
- Ejection seat simulator
- Doherty, S. M., Griggs, A. C., Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R., Gewertz, B. L., & Cohen, T. N. (2023). Planning an escape: Considerations for the development of applied escape rooms. Simulation & Gaming, 54(2), 150-166.
- Keebler, J. R., Lynch, I., Ngo, F., Phelps, E., Huang, N., Guttman, O., ... & Greilich, P. E. (2023). Leveraging the Science of Teamwork to Sustain Handoff Improvements in Cardiovascular Surgery. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.
- Keebler, J. R., & Fausett, C. M. (2023). Human factors in aviation and aerospace: An overview. Human Factors in Aviation and Aerospace, 1-9.
- Fausett, C. M., & Keebler, J. R. (2022, September). Shift Happens: Human Factors Considerations for Handoffs in Cyber-Security Operations Centers. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 66, No. 1, pp. 110-114). Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Griggs, A. C., Lazzara, E. H., Doherty, S. M., Keebler, J. R., Gewertz, B. L., & Cohen, T. N. (2022). Unlocking the Methodology of Escape Rooms: Considerations for Conducting Applied Escape Rooms in Research. Simulation & Gaming, 53(6), 663-675.
- Fausett, C. M., Simonson, R. J., Griggs, A. C., & Keebler, J. R. (2021, September). Team role experience and orientation dimensions in predicting team performance in a spaceship bridge simulation. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 812-816). Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications.