Our capabilities include advanced computing tools for design, simulation, and analysis of problems from the simple to the complex. Other capabilities beyond computing include:
- PC board design, fabrication, assembly, test and implementation
- Software development and coding in coordination with our Department of Electrical, Computer, Software, and Systems Engineering
- Advanced high-voltage and hybrid systems design, advanced controls, and system integration experience gained from our top-level EcoCAR 3 program
- Autonomous sensing, actuation, and controls in cooperation with RAER robotics association and members of the successful RobotX team
Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students are trained to use these tools; our professors teach the use of these tools in the classroom, and through the Center for Motorsports Engineering they are applied to industry research and projects to solve real-world problems.
The CME strives to solve unique challenges, related to cars, engines and performance and beyond.
- CAD using CATIA, PTC Creo / Pro E, Solidworks, Siemens NX
- FEA for structures and heat transfer including ANSYS, NEI NASTRAN, and FEMAP
- FEA structural analysis for composites using specialized ANSYS pre- and post-processing
- CFD using ANSYS Fluent, CFX, and Star-CCM+
- Simulation pre and post-processing using ANSA, Pointwise, Gridgen, Tecplot, and µETA
- HEEDS for Multidisciplinary Design Optimization
- Customer applications using Matlab, Simulink, Microsoft Visual Studio, Java, Maple, and Mathematica.