Countdown Begins to Embry-Riddle's Wings & Waves
U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, Canadian Forces Snowbirds to Headline Oct. 13-14 Beachside Air Show
Daytona Beach, FL, September 13, 2012
Embry-Riddle’s Wings & Waves, North America’s only air show to host three jet demonstration teams – including the world-renowned U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds – is scheduled to take to the skies over the Atlantic Ocean on Oct. 13-14, 2012, in Daytona Beach.
The free event, which begins at 11 a.m. daily beachside at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, will wrap up a week-long celebration of Embry-Riddle’s Homecoming.
Beachside, Embry-Riddle Prescott alums Major J.R. Williams (lead pilot No. 5) and Amber Alumpe (Aircrew Flight Equipment Specialist) along with Daytona Beach alum Major Jason Moore (maintenance officer) of the Thunderbirds, world-record holding skydiver Cheryl Stearns, and GEICO Skytyper lead solo pilot Steve Salmirs, along with Embry-Riddle sponsored aerobatic performer Matt Chapman will be hitting the skies to perform Saturday and Sunday.
“Wings and Waves Air Show is such a unique venue for me,” said Stearns. “It is a tight landing area on the beach and when I exit the plane, I have water on one side and buildings on the other. It's such a thrill for me to open the show by jumping in with the American flag as the national anthem is played.”
- With a mix of six aircraft formation and solo routines, the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds team is an elite 130-person squadron representing nearly 700,000 active duty, guard and reserve airmen serving at home and abroad.
- The Canadian Forces Snowbirds return for their only Florida performance, featuring five-, seven- and nine-plane formations.
- Lakeland, FL-based Black Jet Diamond Team will bring over two L-39s as part of their civilian-owned jet team.
- As the only civilian squadron currently appearing at air shows flying WWII aircraft, the GEICO Skytypers claim six of the 11 SNJ-2 airplanes still in existence.
- F-18 Tactical Demonstration featuring the Strike Fighter Squadron 106 (VFA-106) flying the Navy’s newest tactical aircraft, the F/A-18 Super Hornet.
- Former Unlimited National Aerobatic Champion, Red Bull international race pilot and three-time U.S. rep in the World Aerobatic Championships Mike Goulian.
- Airline pilot by weekday, world aerobatic champion by weekend, Matt Chapman sponsored by Embry-Riddle.
- U.S. National Unlimited Aerobatic Champion and World Gold Medal winner in freestyle aerobatics Rob Holland in MX2 Aerobatic Aircraft.
- Former combat, air support and humanitarian missions pilot for the Air National Guard, John Klatt.
- Test pilot, corporate pilot, aerial coordinator, fixed-wing camera pilot, technical advisor, actor and stunt pilot – Corkey Fornof has just about done it all.
- Aircraft builder, pilot and mentor to many of today’s top air show performers, Jason Newburg.
- Embry-Riddle alum and Guinness World Record for the most parachute jumps in 24 hours by a woman (352 jumps), Cheryl Stearns also was the first female member of the U.S. Army’s elite parachuting team, the Golden Knights.
- Great Britain’s Sopwith F.1 Camel and German Fokker DR.I Triplane will both hit the skies for this special performance of The Plunkett WWI Aviation Collection.
- Longtime air show favorite and former airline pilot SkyTalker Danny Clisham will serve as master of ceremonies.
- Also: A U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Demonstration, air show performer autograph session and special concert by three-time Grammy-nominated country band Little Texas with Dwayne O’Brien at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 13 at the Peabody Auditorium as part of Wings & Waves “After Dark.” Tickets are on sale now at the Peabody box office, at area Walmarts and online at Ticketmaster.com.
In addition to Embry-Riddle’s title sponsorship, other sponsors include Hilton Daytona Beach Hilton Oceanfront, Bright House Networks, the Orlando Sentinel, GEICO, LoPresti, Goodyear, Whelen, Air National Guard, Volusia County, City of Daytona Beach, WNDB1150 and KRO93.1
For sponsorship involvement, volunteer opportunities, visitor information and media registration, go to the event’s official website www.wingsandwaves.com or contact Rick Grissom at (386) 256-0451.
Special Homecoming events open to the public include a Homecoming Parade on Oct. 7. More details to come soon on Embry-Riddle’s Homecoming events and schedule. For more information, go to http://www.eraualumni.org/homecoming2012.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world’s largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, is a nonprofit, independent institution offering more than 40 baccalaureate, master’s and Ph.D. degree programs in its colleges of Arts and Sciences, Aviation, Business and Engineering. Embry-Riddle educates students at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., and through the Worldwide Campus with more than 150 locations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Canada and the Middle East. The university is a major research center, seeking solutions to real-world problems in partnership with the aerospace industry, other universities and government agencies. For more information, visit www.embryriddle.edu, follow us on Twitter (@EmbryRiddle) and www.facebook.com/EmbryRiddleUniversity, and find expert videos at YouTube.com/EmbryRiddleUniv.
Official Air Show Websites:
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world's largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, is a nonprofit, independent institution offering more than 40 baccalaureate, master's and Ph.D. degree programs in its colleges of Arts and Sciences, Aviation, Business and Engineering. Embry-Riddle educates students at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., and through the Worldwide Campus with more than 150 locations in the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. The university is a major research center, seeking solutions to real-world problems in partnership with the aerospace industry, other universities and government agencies. For more information, visit http://www.embryriddle.edu, follow us on Twitter (@EmbryRiddle) and facebook.com/EmbryRiddleUniversity, and find expert videos at YouTube.com/EmbryRiddleUniv.