Traveling as an F-1 Visa Holder

Students may travel during any university breaks. This includes winter break, summer, fall break, spring break, recognized holidays, etc.

The answer depends on the reason for the travel and the length of time that you will be traveling. 

  • If your travel is planned for vacation or a leisure activity and if you will only be gone for the weekend, then you will likely be able to travel.  However, if your vacation will have you out of class for several days, then you will likely be unable to travel, as SEVP does not allow us to authorize travel while school is in session.
  • If the travel is as a part of an academic conference, research, or other academic endeavor, you will be asked to provide a letter from the faculty or staff sponsor of the trip before travel can be approved.

Yes. You must obtain a travel permit from the Office of Immigration Services.

We know that emergencies can occur, and we will do everything we can to assist you in your time of need. However, the length of time you plan to leave the country and how long you will be out of class will affect your status. You will need to discuss this emergency with the staff in the Office of Immigration Services. For instance, if the emergency will have you out of classes for longer than a few days, the Office of Immigration Services is obligated to terminate your I-20. This termination will be coded as an authorized early withdrawal.

Once you are terminated for authorized leave, as long as you do not stay outside the U.S. for more than five months, you will not need a new I-20. The current I-20 will be reactivated.

USCIS will determine what types of information will be required to reactivate your I-20. Items that they may ask for could include return flight information, proof of registration, etc. Once we know what type of information they will request, we will know what information you will need to provide to the Office of Immigration Services.

Yes, as long as you maintain full-time registration at ERAU, and you get the travel signature.