Obtaining a Social Security Number and Driver's License

Social Security Numbers

How do I obtain a Social Security number?

You will need to go to Student Employment with the following documents:

  • I-20
  • Visa / Passport
  • Copy of I-94

Once you visit Student Employment, they will give you the letter to start the process.  It generally takes 2 to 3 weeks. 

Driver’s License

What do I need to take to the DMV to get a driver’s license?

For office visits, you must bring original documents that prove your identity, social security number and residential address. These documents include:

  • Passport
  • I-94 (Retrieve from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home)
  • I-20
  • SSN Card (if you have one)
  • Two proof of address: can be Bank Statement, Bills, Leasing Contract, and/or Letter from ERAU Housing’s Office (only if you are on campus residency)
  • ERAU Transcript/Enrollment Verification (recommended)

Fee Driver’s License: $48.00 (Additional endorsement: $7.00)

Do I have to take a driving test and exam?

Yes, you will need to take the Class-E Knowledge and Driving Skill exams.  This is reciprocated (waived) if you present a driver license from any of the following:

• United States/United States Territories/Possessions

• United States Military

• Canada*

• France

• Germany (Driving Exam only)

• Republic of China (Taiwan)

• South Korea

Note: A vision test is still required.

*Canadians can reciprocate examination requirements by surrendering their Canadian driver license; if not surrendered, Class E exams will be required. Licenses from other states or U.S. territories/ possessions must be surrendered when the Florida license is issued.

Links to More Official Information

Visit https://www.flhsmv.gov/html/dlnew.html for more information

Visit http://www.gathergoget.com/ for making DMV appointment

Download Florida Official Driver’s License Handbook at https://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/EnglishDriverHandbook.pdf