Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an authorization to work within the United States while studying on an F-1 visa. CPT must be an essential part of a student’s learning experience and must allow the student to apply knowledge and utilize skills they have gained in their academic program. CPT is usually taken as an internship or co-op.
The Co-op/Internship Program provides students with practical experience that reinforces the theoretical concepts learned in the classroom. The Co-op/Internship Program aids in bridging the gap between student life and the world of work. This program combines student’s academic and career interests with work experience in business, industry, government, or service organizations.
  • Be in Lawful F-1 status
  • You must have been enrolled in school full-time for one year (Fall and Spring)
  • The CPT must be an integral (required) part of your degree program; this means that it must either be required for your major, or it must fulfill a required elective for your major or program of study
  • You must have received an offer in your major or field of study before you submit your CPT authorization request
If you transfer to Embry-Riddle from another F-1 granting institution and you have completed a year between your time at ERAU and the other institution, then you are eligible to apply for CPT.
You will still need to complete a year (Fall and Spring) of courses at the Master’s Level before you will be eligible for CPT at the Master’s level.
  • You may apply for CPT at the undergraduate level after you complete your first year (Fall and Spring), but before you complete your bachelor’s degree.
  • If while in the accelerated program you complete two semesters (Fall and Spring) of graduate courses while still in your Bachelor’s degree, then you are eligible to apply for CPT at the graduate level as soon as you start your Master’s degree.
  • If you only complete one semester of graduate courses in your bachelor’s program, then you will not be eligible to apply for your Master’s CPT until you complete a second semester of your Master’s degree.
No J-1 Students are not eligible to participate in CPT.
No, you can do CPT full-time or part-time.  However, if you are completing part-time CPT, you must maintain a full-time course load.
You may do as many semesters of CPT as your specific program requires; however, if you go over 12 months of full-time CPT, then you will forfeit your ability to complete Optional Practical Training (OPT).
CPT is approved one semester at a time. You may start your CPT on the same day that orientation begins at the Daytona Beach Campus, and you must end your CPT on the same day as graduation at the Daytona Beach Campus.
No, you may only be approved for CPT if the course is required for your major or if the CPT is a part of an elective that is required for your major.  
A CPT experience may be paid or unpaid.
Full-time CPT may be completed anywhere in the U.S. Part-time CPT must be done close enough to ERAU that you will be able attend and complete your other courses.
No, the course that you take to maintain a full-time course load must be on-ground courses.
Per immigration regulations, students who complete 12 months of full-time CPT are not eligible for OPT. CPT in the last semester creates difficulty in determining students’ eligibility for OPT, as we are not able to count actual CPT days if there is still an existing CPT recommendation. This means that CPT in the final semester could complicate your OPT application or even cause your OPT to be denied.
Yes. Extending I-20 is approved for one of two reasons: 1) an academic reason or 2) a medical reason. Since CPT is an academic requirement and/or an option of an academic curriculum, we are able to extend the program duration.
No. CPT must be completed within the United States. You may complete an internship or co-op outside of the U.S. during the summer semester without having to get CPT approved. However, you will still need to register for classes through career services and get a travel signature to leave the country.
No, at this time PhD students are not eligible to receive credit for internships or co-ops; therefore, they are not eligible for CPT.